Monday, April 20, 2009




I started this post last Friday the 17th but I was not able to finish.  

It is now Monday the The 20th and I am attempting to finish.  I had to 

stop Friday just because I couldn’t write anymore. Friday was such 

a hard day. One month since Brandon’s been gone and it feels like 

forever yet at the same time it feels like just yesterday. What I wrote 

on Friday will be in italic, the rest is from today. 

2 Cor. 4:

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing 

greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;

 8we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, 

but not despairing; 9persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down,

but not destroyed; 10always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus,

so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. 11For we 

who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake,

so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.

12So death works in us, but life in you. 13But having the same spirit 

of faith, according to what is written, "I BELIEVED, THEREFORE 

I SPOKE," we also believe, therefore we also speak, 14knowing that 

He who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and 

will present us with you. 15For all things are for your sakes, so 

that the grace which is spreading to more and more people may 

cause the giving of thanks to abound to the glory of God. 

As this day began I prayed and told Jesus that He was welcome here, 

in my life, and in my heart. Not that Jesus is not already in my heart but I 

wanted Him to know that I welcome Him and that I need Him to 

be with me. What an incredibly hard day. One month ago today I woke 

up to the terrifying screams of my mom on the phone telling me that 

Brandon had been in an accident and it wasn’t good. She was inconsolable 

and we were four hours away. The ride to Spartanburg was the longest 

ride of my life after finding out that Brandon was gone. Only by the grace 

of God did we make it, Gina was driving and doesn’t even remember 

the trip; other than the pain that we all were feeling. This day, the 17th 

 will always be hard not that every other day for the rest of our life won’t 

be hard but these just alittle harder. That’s when our dependence on the 

Lord has to be that much more. 

I am still in 2 Corinthians today. God gave me great hope through verses 7-15. 

right from the beginning of these verses we see that we are feeble and weak, 

BUT God is strong. We are weak, in earthen vessels so the greatness of God’s 

Power can be revealed. We have the treasure of God’s power being revealed 

through us, not we may get, or I wish I had but we have.  

Verse 7 uses the term “earthen vessels.”  Why would someone put a 

special treasure in an earthen vessel or clay pot? This treasure is in 

such weak, feeble, worthless vessel so the of power can be of God. 

I am so weak. I can’t even put one footin front of the other without 

God doing it through me. I can’t even put thoughts together other 

than “Jesus” and  “Brandon,” and “why.” But I know that in my 

weakness He is strong, and His grace is sufficient for me, His strength is made 

perfect in weakness. Well I am weak, completely broken. God be my strength. 

Verses 8-9 show us that God’s power is shown through our trials. Paul uses four 

vivid metaphors right off the military battlefield or out of the arena of a gladiator. 

The first part of each phrase is describing our hardships in our earthen vessel. 

The second part is describing God’s power revealed through our trials. First we 

see that we are afflicted, or hard pressed on every side. The weight of the world 

is coming down on us, we are being pressed like grapes by our circumstances yet 

we are never crushed. Next, we are perplexed. This word means to be at a loss, 

in doubt or uncertain. There are circumstances, trials, and tragedies such as the 

one I am going through that we don’t understand and leave us at a loss. The 

second part of this phrase though is our hope, and it says that we are not in despair. 

Despair means to lose all hope. In my weakness I would be crushed and I would 

lose all hope but thank God in my weakness His divine power shines through. 

Paul also mentions persecuted but not forsaken and struck down but not destroyed. 

I mainly wanted to focus on the first two. 

We are handed over to death for Jesus’ sake. This death is physical and spiritual. 

Brandon died to himself so that Christ would be manifest through him and He was. 

Brandon also died physically, not as a martyr but as a servant of God. People’s lives 

have been changed because of Brandon’s death. Salvation decisions have been made, 

not because of anything Brandon did but because he was handed over to death for 

Jesus’ sake, so His life could be manifested through him. Our lives should carry 

around the same death of Jesus so His life can be seen through us. Is Jesus 

being raised up through our sufferings? Whether dying is physical or dying is 

spiritual, as in denying yourself daily, are we exalting Christ in our death?  

Verses 13-15 show us that God’s power can be revealed through our hope. We endure 

death because of our hope in the risen Savior. Followers of Christ share a common 

hope; that Christ has risen from the dead. In this lays our hope, Christ’s resurrection. 

Our hope is grounded in certainty of the final outcome, our resurrection, Brandon’s 

resurrection, after death, based on Christ’s resurrection. Jesus’ resurrection is our 

assurance that one day we would also be raised up and presented faultless before 

God. Our hope, being left here full of lose is that one day we will see Brandon 

again. We have that assurance. We know Brandon is spending eternity with God, 

with no more fears, no more tears, no more regrets, no more wishes, just the 

satisfaction of experiencing the glory of God. The trumpet will sound, and the 

dead will be raised incorruptible. As we go and speak about Life to people, 

we speak because of the hope we have through Christ. Brandon’s life is a testimony 

to God’s power being shown through death.  At the end of this section of Scripture 

we see that all this, the suffering, the death, the pain, the trials are given to us so 

that the power of God will be revealed through us and the grace of God will spread 

and God will receive thanksgiving and glory. 

This has been a powerful text to meditate on. I need hope right now and I am 

definitely weak, having trouble just getting through the day. God’s power is 

being revealed through Brandon’s death and my weakness. Praise God.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we love you & are praying for you!

betsy
www.momentswiththemitchells.blogspot.com